Shared hosting: (typically trial programs or low-cost hosting package)
is like living in an apartment where you share a common space with your neighbors. You cannot customize anything but you share maintenance cost and responsibility with your neighbors. Shared hosting is the most commonly used method of hosting, and is used for customers who have typically chosen trial programs or low-cost hosting packages.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting:
- The resources for shared hosting is always very limited.
- Your website performance will be affected by other websites hosted on the shared server.
- You might have to face long term problems with scalability and backup.
- You are on the same internet server as thousands of other websites (that’s how they make their money) the possibility of face security issues is very real.
- Some of the applications you decide to use will require configuring of firewall settings and other security.
- You will have a limited amount customer support available, before having to pay for technical help.
VPS Hosting: (typically is used by larger companies)
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting is like owning a home in a residential neighborhood, fencing and property boundaries help keep your area private. Your VPS home is where you can customize everything to your own tastes, you will be responsible for maintaining your own area, but your home is built the way you like and your safety and security increases by leaps and bounds.
Advantages of VPS Hosting:
- Plenty of space and bandwidth to be able to have applications not available when sharing space.
- VPS makes upgrade or downgrade your subscription easy.
- You can configure anything you wish on the server as you own it.
- Extensive and dedicated Customer Support keeping your site running smooth and security levels high.
- Much easier scalability and website backup.
- User partitioning enables you to custom firewall configurations
Disadvantage of VPS Hosting:
- You need a dedicated system administrator to take care of your server.
- It is usually costly so you should be careful with cheap offers.
- Certain applications might have issues running in a VPS environment.
The good news – Run Rhino Web Service covers you on the disadvantages listed above
- As long as you are our client we will be your Dedicated Systems Administrator (DSA), taking care of your website keeping it up and running 24/7.
- The cost is included in our price, we are not trying to make money on the hosting service, to be competitive we need your website to run well, stay live, and make you money.
- As your DSA we’ll make sure to only install applications that have been pre-tested and verified to work on our network.